Recess Cleveland normally hosts over 75 different games and attracts over 8000 people at 80+ events each year. This year, we were hoping to attract 10,000 attendees, but because of the Covid-19 pandemic, we had to pivot. We’re excited to announce that we are working on 4 new programs in response to the pandemic that will help families drop your cell phones for a second, celebrate family fun, and exercise.
Four projects this summer include:
1) Recess at Home – We’ve been rethinking the rules of some of our games to make them social distancing guideline friendly. We’re in the process of creating an online directory of games you can play with common household items. Follow us on Instagram and/or Facebook for more info.
2) Activity Buckets – We’re in the process of raising funding to build and distribute hundreds of “Activity Buckets” around the City of Cleveland. Similar to meal prep kits, our activity buckets will feature a 5 gallon bucket filled with play items, aka the ingredients, and rules, aka the recipes, to 15-20 games or activities you can setup and play with the contents of the activity bucket. Some items may include:
- Kite making kit
- Giant Bubble Kit
- Playgroud balls and/or Soccerball
- Chalk paint and Art Supplies
- And more
3) Activity Book – with the Trust for Public Land and Art by Love – an activity book filled with recipes, puzzles, and other family fun activites.
4) Pop up competitions (max 10 people) – Thanks to a grant from NLDP, we were able to acquire funding to buy equipment for several new social distancing friendly games including Connect 4 Basketball. Please add yourself to our email list in order to receive game invites in the near future.
Note: As soon as the it’s safe to gather, we’ll resume our 60 Days of Summer Programming, but all events WILL REQUIRE A MASK TO PLAY (masks will be provided at the events while they last). All of our events will also have a cleaning station where attendees will be required to clean any play equipment they use, with help from our staff of course, just as you would when going to a gym. In addition to masks, we will also have plenty of hand sanitizer available while they last at all of our outdoor events.
Thank you and we’re looking forward to helping you safely have fun while practicing social distancing procedures this summer.
–The Recess Cleveland Team